vaping is not smoking
Because vaping is not smoking (see our Vaping vs. Smoking page), it is difficult to define equivalent doses between e-liquids and cigarettes. Each user, whether a vaper or a smoker, has his or her own uses: each case is different.
A vaper’s consumption can be schematized by taking into account three factors, which vary according to the interested party :
- The type of equipment used and the power settings : it will influence the delivery of the nicotine necessary for smoking cessation.
- The e-liquid chemical composition: the levels of PG / VG and nicotine present in the e-liquid will strongly affect consumption.
- The vaper’s behaviour: he/she can vape regularly throughout the day or just from time to time. A direct or indirect inhalation mode (find out more) is also part of the parameters to be taken into account.
How many cigarettes for 10ml of e-liquid?
If one absolutely wishes to obtain an equivalence between cigarette and e-liquid, the rate of nicotine absorbed can give a certain estimate. Here are some general recommendations:
- For a heavy smoker (more than 15 cigarettes per day), it is better to opt for higher rates: between 12 and 16 mg / ml of nicotine.
- Between 10 and 15 cigarettes per day, a rate of 9 to 12 mg / ml of nicotine.
- Between 5 and 10 cigarettes per day, a rate of 6 mg / ml of nicotine.
- For less than five cigarettes per day, prefer 3 mg / ml of nicotine or even 0 mg / ml.
Please note that these values are not fixed. As part of smoking cessation, it remains imperative to test several different rates and discuss with a professional to find a solution adapted to your profile.